Something had to be done about this lamp. Its the only lamp in our bedroom, and I use it a lot for late-night reading. I couldn't stare at this naked lampshade anymore. Its so BLAH. I'm slowly redecorating our bedroom, and wanted to do something that would go with the colors I picked, but also be able to use it again later or in a different room. Here's the before:
I cut up long strips of the main fabric, and stitched down the middle of each strip using the longest stitch on my sewing machine and ZERO tension. I only backstitched when I got to the end, so I can pull on the bottom thread at the top to make my ruffle. Next, I ruffled them up (you can do ruffles more or less, just depends on the look you like) and stitched down the center again to hold it in place. I got out my mini-glue gun (not a fave, but its a hand-me-down that works) and hot glued all those suckers in rows around the lampshade. Here it is!
PS: I love my nook.